Friday, May 16, 2008

Thing #12 NetLibrary and WorldCat

NetLibrary--I had an account years ago when the library first subscribed to this database. I didn't use it much and my account lapsed so I have a new account now. I do e-mail reference and I am constantly telling people how to get an account. This is when people are using our card catalog and they come across a book with the word (electronic) in the description. At the end of the entry is a weblink button that says "An electronic book accessible through the World Wide Web." When you click this on this brings you to NetLibrary. I can almost type this in my sleep because I answer this question all the time. "In Our Collection" allows you to browse the collection of books.
I did a search on our catalog for "home-based businesses" and came up with a few electronic books with links to NetLibrary. Going into NetLibrary directly I typed in Jane Austen and selected the book "Sense and Sensibility." NetLibrary has such a great selection of the classics.

WorldCat--I use WorldCat all the time since I am always filling out interlibrary loan requests for patrons. I did a search on one of our famous books in the Wheeler Room called"To Drop a Dime." I found that our library was listed first and then Monmouth University Library is listed next. I noticed today that WorldCat is now on our library catalog welcome page.

No comments: