Monday, May 19, 2008

Thing #16 Wikis

This is one of the few things that I have used before. Sometimes in looking for articles on a subject I found Wikipedia articles. Some of these articles have been quite good and might be the only source you could find. For example, I was looking for information on the Lovelandtown Bridge located on Bridge Avenue from Point Boro to Bay Head. I found a great article about the new bridge and the old one.

I went to the Library Success wiki and looked at a few things. I liked the articles on Traditional Reference Services. I read ato a few specific blogs/articles such as: Do I Still Use Reference Books? and A Day Without a Library Catalog. Both of these were done by ricklibrarian. I could tell from his writing that he is a reference librarian who works with the public. I found the study on the use of reference books very useful.

I really like the wikipedia article on Ocean County Library. I wish the article was longer and included the date each branch was opened. I looked the history of this wiki I couldn't believe how many changes had been made.

No comments: